America spent the last 10 years hearing “Winter’s Coming!” on HBO’s Game of Thrones. But Phoenix residents have always lamented, “Summer’s Coming!” Every year, we dread the summer temperatures. Well, summer’s coming once again. So what can you do to prepare your home for the high temperatures and summer critters? Here are a few tips for you.
- Seal out the bugs: The construction industry has picked up over the last few years, and with it has come the displaced scorpions. Sealing out bugs includes a pesticide barrier around the home to kill off any scorpion food. You can also seal off doors and windows. Time to get out that caulk gun!
- Seal in the cool air: Keeping the bugs out is important, but we’d guess you trade a few bugs for that cool air. Keep the heat out and the cool in by maintaining that barrier between inside and outside. Check seals, windows, and insulation.
- Get your A/C serviced: You can change your A/C filter, upgrade your thermostat to a programmable one, and work on that barrier. We also recommend a good HVAC contractor to service your AC units to keep them running with some arctic air.
- Prepare your outdoor living: Go take a look at your outdoor living areas. Look for any rain or sun damage. Make sure the barbeques are operable.
- Landscaping: This is a good time to cut back the green to save water. Check your irrigation system. And clear debris away from the home — scorpions love that stuff.
Snowbirds: Summer-ize Your Home Before Heading North
Headed out for the summer?
Here’s a quick checklist for you:
- Utilities, Services and Mail: Let them all know you’re gone for the summer.
- Alert your neighbors and HOA: Get some eyeballs on your property just to make sure you’re notified if anything happens.
- Store your valuables: Use a safe deposit box or a storage unit to protect valuables from theft or disaster.
- Give the yard one last cleaning up: Make sure you have maintenance scheduled and get it cleaned up, so that it doesn’t look too unoccupied.
- Unplug your appliances, computers and TVs: Save energy and protect them from haboob storm electrical surges.
- Turn off the water: Run the faucets, flush the toilets, turn off the water main, then do it again.
- Get rid of that perishable food and anything else that might ‘go bad’ while you’re gone.
- Schedule a Property Welfare Check with White Glove Home Inspections.
What About The Car?
The best way to beat the heat in Phoenix is to go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned destination. So, make sure your car is ready for the summer.
- Charge that A/C up
- Check tire pressure
- Get a sun screen
- Consider window tinting
- Check your battery
Enjoy the Summer!
We hope that helps you get through the summer as comfortably as possible. If you’re looking to buy a home or even sell yours, give us a call at 602-743-3565 or get an instant quote for a home inspection.